slice of my life

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Saturday Photo Scavenger Hunt, August 22nd

Today's theme is ripples. I'm waxing philosophical!


I couldn't think of any shots I have of ripples on the water. I should have looked or some this week and got a shot, but have been busy---my school has already begun. We're well on our way into the 2009-2010 year!


As I woke this morning, I thought about the ripples our decisions make, or the ripples the circumstances make in our lives and again in the lives of those around us.

This is my paternal grandmother and her brother. They lived in Tennessee and grew up during the depression. Their circumstances---including a father's illness with tuberculosis---led to certain attitudes and personality traits I can see in me.


This is Larry's family. I can't think about the ripples unless I think about the "looks" of people, our genetic heritage. Larry's grandmother is the third woman from the right, and seated are her parents. There is a certain body build in all the men on Larry's side that are descended from Larry's Dad. Another ripple was that Larry's grandmother was the one who taught him to read at an early age.
Both Larry and I come from stock that's not so tall! While our J has passed me by and already has feet bigger than his daddy, I still think he won't get over 6 feet tall. This shorter genetic heritage ripples on by . . .

Here is my short family. I'm the one in the white skirt in the front. And I am only 5'2". Even our men are only about 5'7" or so.

And another choice that's rippled down for the benefit of me and my kin---that my grandparents on my Mom's side even got together. None of his other 3 siblings ever married. I'm glad he made the leap to do it!
Life is full of these ripples, both good and bad. I hope my own actions are rippling into my children's lives in a positive way.
Check out more ripples at TNChick's website. Next week's theme is Surprise!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home