slice of my life

Monday, September 15, 2008

Galveston Pictures

These pictures were taken in 2002. We went camping at Brazos Bend State Park for Father's Day. It's a really great park in Fort Bend county, 28 miles SW of Houston. There is absolutely no getting in the water, though. It has many alligators there. One of our days, we drove from there an hour and a half to the beach in Galveston.

These two pictures are from the trip. J was only 6 and a half and B was 3 and a half.

I did not get a picture of the seawall itself. This was pre-digital-camera, and I had to make the most of my film. But here we are at the base of the wall. Just to the left of this picture was the wall---ten feet tall. Those pictures of the water crashing into the wall in Galveston? That is ten feet---at least---above our heads in this picture. These are the rocks put here to hold back that water---to combat the erosion. I say this for the benefit of my relatives who've never been there. I was compelled to watch the footage of Galveston's destruction because it was so amazing that the water was so high. I think I saw a picture of the Joe's Crab Shack that we've eaten at. I saw the flooded parking lot of Moody Gardens where we went at Christmastime to see the light display. I have seen that Ramada that they keep showing. I know people who've stayed there, even.
It's one thing to see destroyed houses, but another to see places you've been. And a whole other thing entirely to see your own home. I can't even imagine that.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home