slice of my life

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Weatherchasing II

Was it only 10 days ago that I was watching Gustav? Now I'm watching Ike, and we're in the path!

I looked at a map this morning that showed us in Bryan, as the crow flies, less than 150 miles from the coast. And if the winds are still hurricane force as the eye of Ike hits land, we could really get hit with some wind. I'm right now sitting tight.

I am out of school today because the church building where I work is being used for a shelter already. This morning, parts of Houston are being evacuated, so I expect an influx of people here tonight.

I already have a full tank of gas and bought some extra food and water this morning. I am washing all our clothes---so we can go a week or so without worrying about clean clothes. I'm saving some ice. I'm eyeing the trees warily in our neighborhood. And praying.

It's possible that the kids will be out of school tomorrow. It might be better to send them on to school and keep them out of the way. The high school football games are re-scheduled a day early around here---so varsity tonight.

Things are hopping around here!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • School is canceled for all of BISD tomorrow and football is canceled for tonight! This could get interesting!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:07:00 PM  

  • Jenny, I'll be thinking of you guys and praying for everyone in the path of Hurricane Ike. We lived through Katrina and it sounds like you're doing all the right things. We are about 150 miles inland as well so we didn't think we'd get hit bad. We had no idea! The main things were that gas was so very hard to get for over a week afterwards, so definitely fill up as many gas cans as you can get your hands on. The other hard thing to get was ice. I'd also get as much of that as I could and had room for. We lost power for several days, so if it was coming towards us again, I'd use everything I could out of my fridge and freezer, because we lost tons of food. I'd be grilling up a storm! We also moved everything we could from outside into the garage or indoors - patio umbrellas, chairs, windchimes, bird feeders, everything that wasn't huge or nailed down. We couldn't believe how much stuff blew by us and landed in our yard, being so far inland we didn't expect it. I hope Ike is not as bad for you guys, but hang on. And let us know how you're doing when you can. We lost internet for almost a week :(

    Take care!

    By Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane, at Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:49:00 PM  

  • Thank you for thinking of us!

    We are hunkered down and waiting. It's going to be a LONG day. We were out of school yesterday and, of course, today.

    Praying!

    By Blogger D..., at Friday, September 12, 2008 10:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home