slice of my life

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Volunteerism

I sometimes have felt guilty for not "volunteering" to a cause like homeless soup kitchens or at-risk youth or something like that. But I already volunteer quite a bit. I just had never felt like it was volunteering because it was for events my kids were involved in.

This cookie season has had me volunteering at an all time high. Friday I worked 4 hours for the Girl Scouts (banking, math, booth sales, carrying boxes). Saturday I worked another 2 and a half hours. I guess I got a break today with only a couple of phone calls.

My mental time is being taken up on this also, though. Last night I went to bed thinking about it, and I woke up this morning thinking about it. There are not even any problems going on---I'm trying to figure out how to shift cookies around to other girls or how to make a few more sales (we're not quite to that goal!) or whatever.

I ought to be thinking more about my job, maybe! or my marriage!

Lar and I did go out on Valentine's night. We were going out about 6, and the restaurants were all very crowded. We ended up getting Mexican food at a new location, which was a second choice. For some reason, I think Italian food is more romantic! The parking lot where I wanted to go was all full, though, so I suggested the second place. It didn't have "atmosphere" and we were in the middle of a crowd of tables, but it was Delicious and we had a nice time.

Friday night was the Not So new Newlywed game at church. This is usually kind of romantic---we do think about our coupledom a lot through the course of the evening, adn we don't have kids with us! ;-)

J (and Larry) think it really was my fault we missed 2 questions! One involved my thinking I'm a little more risk taking than Larry thinks. The other question we missed was about what Larry was like in high school----is he more of a "Mac" or a "PC" in character? (Like the guys on the TV commercial---was he more hip and trendy or more traditional and stodgy?) If you knew him then, you can leave me a comment.

Well, it's the end of a weekend, and we're back to the ol' jobs tomorrow. It kind of bums me out!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • I know what you mean about not feeling like we give enough of ourselves to our communities! We do so much for our families it's hard to keep up with the world around us. This year, my family and I are aspiring to do one charitable deed, one act of kindness, one voluntary act for someone outside our immediate family. We're blogging our results. It's been pretty fun so far! :)

    By Blogger JenPB, at Monday, February 16, 2009 3:25:00 AM  

  • You ARE volunteering - and being an awesome role-model for your kids at the same time!! At VolunteerSpot, we help nonprofits, like soup kitchens, do their good work - but most of our volunteers are moms like YOU - volunteering with Scouts, PTA, sports teams, etc. Check us out - and please share our site with the volunteer leaders at the various activities you're involved in. www.VolunteerSpot.com -- simple, free online volunteer scheduling, signups and reminders.

    By Blogger DoMoreGood, at Monday, February 16, 2009 6:40:00 PM  

  • Italian food is more romantic because of Lady & the Tramp. ;)

    The Not So Newlywed game sounds like fun!

    By Blogger D..., at Monday, February 16, 2009 7:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home