slice of my life

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Part 2

My next strength is Intellection.
People strong in the Intellection theme are characterized by their intellectual activity. They are introspective and appreciate intellectual conversations.

One of the answers on the test I took for this was "My mind is always thinking." or something like that. I put YES. EXTREMELY. I have discussed this with Larry. My mind is always turning something around in there. I am thinking in the shower, while I am driving and especially when I wake up in the night.

The bad news is, it's great fodder for the devil to get me. I worry about stuff that possibly could happen or about things I'm trying to figure out! I second guess decisions I made. I am driving today, trying to figure out why they cone off a lane in front of the junior high, on the bypass, and why they need a traffic cop there and why my son's school that is built just the same doesn't do that, and is there more traffic there, or is it because they are on the feeder road of a freeway, or maybe because there's . . . . blah blah blah. Who knows where else my brain was going.

I'm totally introspective---I'm very introverted if left in a strange situation. I'm happy with my own thoughts. But I do love to have quiet conversations with others, and I do appreciate another thinker.

Larry was the valedictorian of his class. I found this out one evening when a group of us were at his apartment before we were dating. It upped his status in my mind a bunch. Made him even more attractive! ;-) The fact that he could keep up with me or excel past me was a necessary thing when I was looking for dates and spouse. But I don't even know if Intellection is in his top 5. Could be!?!

This strength is developed in quiet, though, which I do not give myself enough of. One of the suggestions was to schedule this quiet alone time. Made me think of the special I saw about Einstein---he would spend days just looking out the window. Being brilliant (not that I have achieved this!) takes some time to think---it's not automatic. It makes me not feel so guilty for wanting more down time.


That last bit flows well into my next strength: Connectedness.
People strong in the Connectedness theme have faith in the links between all things. They believe there are few coincidences and that almost every event has a purpose.

See? I made a connection between something I saw on TV, this class's material, and myself.

Doesn't everyone think this?? I am sure things happen for a reason. I've been even more sure of it since I taught through the Old Testament a few years ago. To see the stories of Ruth (a foreign born woman), Rahab (a prostitute), and the family line of Jesus all come together, it makes me think about how I am part of a chain of events that God's controlling. I'm a piece of the puzzle that God is putting together.

I have always said Jamie and I were saved from harm in my 1995 wreck for a reason. Maybe I was saved for my own great plan. Or I was saved so that I can help raise a great child to manhood. Or maybe we are just pieces that had to be there for someone down the line that God will use in another way. On the other hand, we're here in the now for doing what God has put before us. I like what I heard about Mother Theresa: that she just did her little tasks to her best ability. That's what we all can do.

Another thing I do---if I hear about something three times from different sources, I try to pay attention to that thing. It can't be a coincidence that I'm hearing about it. It happened at school one day concerning a song that was running through my brain. It's base don the scripture in First Samuel---be strong and courageous and do not be afraid. The will go with you each and every day. I mentioned it to Jason, that I'd love for him to lead it in Chapel soon. he said he was thinking the same thing in his office that very morning. See? No coincidences. Who needed that song? Someone did, and God used me and Jason to make it happen. I like to think so, anyway.

Of course this strength is strengthened by my faith that God is up there, in control.

My number 5 strength is Belief.
People strong in the Belief theme have certain core values that are unchanging. Out of these values emerges a defined purpose for their lives.

Well? Doesn't everyone with a faith in God have this? Nope!

I've never thought that I have a stronger belief than anyone else. It goes along with how I feel about the connectedness of things. God is unchanging, so my beliefs are also. Well, sorta. I think I'm developing my thoughts and beliefs as I go along in life. But the core of it is the Bible. It has to be based on that. I'm still learning (my Learner strength again) and want to have a deeper understanding of the Bible.

I have never been able to read the Bible in a year. It's too fast for me. I like a more pondering study, where I can really think about something. (That's my Intellection talking.) But I really do want to acomplish that! (And that is the Input talking---one more collection of info for me to grasp.)

One aspect of this strength is that belief gives life meaning and that your job needs to be meaningful. I do have this in teaching. I'm supposedly "consistent" and friends view me as dependable and trustworthy. I hope so!

That's all ! Now I can go to class tonight satisfied I've done my homework. ;-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home