slice of my life

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Regrets and . . . what's the opposite of a regret?

I probably shouldn't talk about this so soon, but I have regrets about Christmas. It's the time for Christmas letdown, isn't it? Here's a list a of a few things I regret about Christmas 2008:
  • I didn't take enough pictures of family.
  • I didn't make a gingerbread house with my own children. (Do I give too much to my class and the scraps of me to my kids?)
  • I never did get any Christmas cards mailed. (But I did give some out by hand.) Never mind the Christmas newsletter!
  • I didn't get the Christmas lights on the house. The tree does look nice through the window, however! Putting lights on the house is one thing that gives me a lot of holiday joy, and I didn't do it. Sigh.
  • I didn't sit with my hubby enough on the couch and watch Christmas movies. I watched his favorite without him---while I was sitting at the computer, no doubt.
  • I didn't buy those Christmas music books----one for french horn, one for cello, at least. Maybe next year, when the kids have even more experience under their belts. I think B wasn't ready anyway.
  • I didn't make enough Christmas food "goodies" at home.
  • We didn't mail packages to Memphis or Michigan. I still might . . .
  • I didn't make a popcorn garland. I really enjoy that.
  • We didn't do a Christmas countdown calendar or an advent calendar. I did buy one for next year, though, and I LOVE it.

But along with the regrets are the nice things that happened.

We wore our Santa hats for fun times.We attended Christmas music concerts. I was able to go to B's school and help with her Christmas party!!
I enjoyed seeing B in a Christmas play---using her Spanish.
I enjoyed some hot spiced tea mix by the Christmas tree.
I was able to find some presents that really were unexpected and liked. Like this back scrubber for B. She was really eyeing them one time at the store, and I remembered. I also got her a card game called Go Fish for Art----the Renaissance set. She says she'd like all the sets: VanGogh and Friends, Impressionist, and Modern Artists. I also found a pretty hummingbird feeder in the winter for my Dad. I love finding things that people like but they didn't have to ask me for. But isn't that almost impossible sometimes?

We had some time for being silly---even with strep throat!!
Here's a gift Larry had to wait years for. A shirt that says, "Who's your Daddy?" with Darth Vader on it. I finally got it, and he really liked it.
I am glad we got to go to my parents' house. (It was warm when we got there---hence the capris and bare feet!)

So Christmas wasn't a total let-down, of course! I had a great Christmas---despite not being able to do it all. Who can? I think I'm still trying to figure out what's most important to me. This year has been especially challenging since I'm working full time. I'll just be sure to put out my lights on the house right after Thanksgiving next year!


Hope you had a Merry Christmas and will enjoy a happy New Year in 2009. Can you believe it's already 2009? Where has this decade gone?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • I share a lot of the same regrets with you. It's natural. We didn't get cards out, lights up, enough pictures, or advent calendar. Of course, the latter had more to do with a new kitten than anything else. But, I was secretly relieved not to have to get them out. Sigh.

    But! I also have many more non-regrets than regrets! Here's to Christmas 2009! May there be NO regrets. ;)

    By Blogger D..., at Monday, December 29, 2008 12:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home