slice of my life

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Saturday Photo Scavenger Hunt, November 15th

Today's theme is ruined. I asked my husband a few days ago---Can you think of any pictures we have that go along with the theme 'ruined'?" And he reminded me of all that ruined carpet. And this was just the beginning of a year that got ruined, in my opinion.

This is our living room, from the front door. Well, and the dining room. Who knew all this was under our carpet? It's very weird, but I suppose it's the remnants of all that glue putting the carpet down. Paint splotches were everywhere, too.

Here's the little corner by my bedroom door. So lovely. Carpet padding still stuck down to the concrete.
The last picture is what ruined our carpet. A strong downpour for much longer than our drainage could take, along with some construction a half a mile away, contributed to this problem.
Do you know if our carpet had been ruined by a broken hot water heater or busted pipe, we could have gotten more flooring through insurance. But because it was a flood, no go! I didn't really imagine that we would need flood insurance. It wasn't required. It's just like the commercials I've been seeing on the TV for flood insurance from the government. "I don't even live near the water!" it says on the commercial. Thank goodness it didn't get in the walls!
If you'd like to take a downer trip, go see more ruined photos at TNChick's website. ;-) Next week's theme is reflection. "Reflections of . . . the way life used to be . . . "

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Yup ruined for sure!! i thought of taking a pic of my ruined rug but didn't want to be reminded of it.

    By Blogger rdl, at Saturday, November 15, 2008 11:09:00 AM  

  • One year we had a leak in our condo from broken (frozen) pipes upstairs. We had to have the same fan heaters for a few days, but fortunately our carpet wasn't ruined. I invite everyone to come see my ruin discoveries in Coastal BC. -- Margy

    By Blogger Powell River Books, at Saturday, November 15, 2008 11:35:00 AM  

  • The thought of flooding will ruin my day. :( I suffer from them, and we don't live in a flood zone, either. Can't think about it too much. :S

    I did Photo Hunt today, too. I hope you get a chance to visit and leave your link!
    http://newyorktraveler.net/photo-hunters-ruined/

    Have a great weekend!

    By Blogger Rebecca Mecomber, at Saturday, November 15, 2008 12:41:00 PM  

  • Water damage can be much worse. At least it was mostly just taking out the carpet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:36:00 PM  

  • Water damage is no fun. I'm glad your damage did not go further. The ruined tree was near the road and telephone lines. Thanks for visiting my PhotoHunt.

    By Blogger Lew, at Saturday, November 15, 2008 11:25:00 PM  

  • Hey Jenny,

    Oh this brings back memories of when this happened to us! I have very similar pictures. ;-) Our water did go up our walls though. I remember about 72 hours of industrial fans running - when we finally got to turn them off I think we yelled at each other for several hours afterwards, since we were so used to screaming to be heard. Haha!

    These were perfect pictures for the "ruined" theme. The next theme sounds like it will bring better memories to mind. :-)

    Have a good week!

    By Blogger Mrs. H., at Monday, November 17, 2008 9:05:00 PM  

  • Ahh that is horrible. I have heard similar insurance horror stories... but on the bright side it makes for a great post for the theme!

    Have a great weekend!
    Amanda

    By Blogger Amanda, at Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home