slice of my life

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday Photo Scavenger Hunt, January 17th

Today's theme is hats. Check out TNChick's website for more hats and learn how to join in.

This photo of me and my husband jumped to mind when I saw this theme. Here we are on our honeymoon in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and we're riding the Maid of the Mist boat, up close to the Falls. I know I've used this photo for the hunt before, and recently, but it's perfect for hats. We wore these hats on our honeymoon all across the USA.
In my mind, the hats were a symbol of Larry and I together. When I was taking a drawing class at UNT during the next year, I was challenged to draw a series of 6 self-portraits, and this next shot is one of those. It hangs in my bedroom.
I had a floral bucket hat I wore on the honeymoon, too, and it was green. I worked from life sketching it out and coloring it in using pastels. All the portraits were symbolic and many of them clothing----married life (this one), work life (my Taco Bueno apron---I really like that one), being a woman (pantyhose and high heels), childhood (my doll Gaga, some green overalls, and I think my flag corps gloves). I've forgotten the other two! I must have not liked them as much !! ;-) I was 21 years old and a newlywed when I did those, and I have a few more portraits I could add to that list. I've added many more hats to my life as I've added responsibilities. Mother, teacher, blogger!
Next week's theme is chipped. Hope you will come back and see what's found!!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home