slice of my life

Friday, February 08, 2008

Movie Reviews

Friday's Feast has "technical difficulties" this morning, so here I am without my regular fix!

Today, I'm reviewing Movies I've Seen Lately.

Juno
Last night I went to see Juno with some of my work-mates. I ressurrected the gals' movie night---we put our kids to bed and go see some movie together that our husbands might not want to see. So it was a 10:20pm movie. Heehee! Feels so indulgent to go for some reason. Of course this morning I'm tired!

Anyway, I had heard good things about this movie from different kinds of people. It's definitely PG-13, and I wouldn't even want a young teen to see it, I think! ;-) But it was really quirky, and although it didn't turn out all completely happy, I like the fact that I didn't really know what was going to happen in the movie. The dialogue was interesting (although a little more offensive than I would choose if it was me making the movie), and even the sets and the wardrobe were interesting to me.

We laughed, we cried, we cringed. It was real.

Cloverfield
Larry and I saw this one a few weeks ago. I was interested in this one because of the concept of the story. I love science fiction. I love a story that asks "what if?" This one starts out with that premise. What if something so bad happened that Central Park is now "the area formerly known as Central Park." You know from the beginning that the monster is going to have to win.

The idea of a movie being a home video was also an interesting idea. Despite reports that other people got sick from all the herky-jerky motion, it didn't make me sick. And I think it was effective in showing all the hurried panic there would really be in that situation.

It was worth a DVD rental if you like sci-fi sort of stuff. It was worth a $6.50 ticket to see it on the big screen, too.

Alvin and the Chipmunks
I saw this one at Christmastime with my parents and my kids. It was cute and worth a DVD rental as well. Seen it once, and that's enough for me, though. I did appreciate all the references to the old Alvin and the Chipmunks. Lots of inside jokes, I thought. The best thing was it had no offensive language and only a little of the romance implied. It felt safe for the kids. The music was fun.

National Treasure
I saw this one on Christmas Day with my family. We were home alone on Christmas Day, and after all the unwrappping of presents and eating of treats, we went out to the movies. We went with the intention of seeing The Water Horse, but changed our minds as we walked up to the box office.

I heard that if you liked the first National Treasure, you'll like this one. That's true. Sure, it's full of cheeseyness, improbable events, and convenient coincidences, but it was fun movie. It's another one I felt was safe for my kids. I feel like B has turned a corner somewhere in her life, because in the middle of all the action, she leaned over to me and said, "I really like this kind of movie!" But then too, she got into my lap towards the end, a little girl move. She's really too big to do that anymore, but we'll hang onto it a bit longer.

Those are my recent movie outings! I don't usually even go once a month, so I have to pick ones I think I really want to see. Love to hear your comments!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Great reviews Jenny! I love reading about books and movies at our blogs :)

    We saw National Treasure on Christmas Eve with several family members. We had a good time. I didn't think it was quite as good as the first one, but most everyone else did. It was fun, though, and I'm SO glad they make these kind of movies. They should make more, as far as I'm concerned - clean, humor, action, friendship. Good themes.

    I don't do scary films, so I skip things like Cloverfield. I'm still undecided about Juno. I didn't like your blurb about it not ending well - if there's one thing I don't like... it's a book or movie that doesn't have a happy ending. :)

    Thanks for the reviews!

    By Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane, at Friday, February 08, 2008 11:01:00 AM  

  • I loved Juno. I thought it was a really honest and well made film.

    Also enjoyed the chipmunks with my daughter.

    Thanks for the reviews. I have been wondering about National Treasure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, February 08, 2008 12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home