slice of my life

Friday, May 18, 2007

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

I'm going to try to bullet point my day yesterday---it was a hum-dinger!!
  • I started my day by getting the first ticket I have ever gotten ever. UG! I am glad I was alone. No, I did not cry. Not until later. I was doing 31 in a 20mph school zone! This was the D'oh! moment of the day. I usually drive through this spot before 8, when the school zone starts, so I was just zipping past the school about 8:02, late for work. There is no flashing light on the school zone sign to give me extra warning, and I didn't even see the cop. So even later to work I was, and none the richer.
  • This was our last day of school (at my workplace) with the kids there. It was an emotional day for the kids. They did not cry at school, but at least 3 parents told me their child was upset at home before school. This class was really very bonded to each other and just a deep-thinking group! My class is preparing for Kindergarten, and I talk about this throughout the year. Maybe we did too much talking!
  • My kids were practicing for the program/graduation, and afterwards, my boss told me that I had been nominated (by my friends at school) for teacher of the year ---not just at my school, but area-wide. I had to immediately write an acceptance letter and then commit to go to the training and awards on Saturday. I was flattered, but now I have Saturday tied up! ;-)
  • I ate lunch outside with my class, for the last time. It's beautiful here right now!
  • We had a end-of-year party and I got tons of gifts. I'm always overwhelmed by this at the end! The funniest gift I got---and one I am really thrilled about----is my new roller skates! I will have to post pictures sometime. I really can skate, and I enjoy it. Maybe it will keep me active this summer. :-) I got so many things I can't even list them all here.
  • We handed out our notebooks to the kids at the party. (In another school, in another time, I called these "Me Books.") I liked watching the kids and parents look through them. I think I got lots of really good pictures this year. I was able to share the digital ones I had in the slide show at Program. I am thinking about setting up a private album on Webshots so the aprents can see what pictures I took. The they can get them on their computers if they like.
  • I rushed out of school and got my kids at school, and came on home to rest a bit before we all split up for the night. My Mom called, so I spent my rest time with her, sorta! :-)
  • B decided to come to program with me, and J had his opening night performance of The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet. J plays the monk who marries the star-crossed lovers and then administers the "death-faking nuts" as it is in this version. Anyway, the family split, and we went to our respective "big events."
  • Program went off without a hitch, and the kids were cute singing their songs, and it was simple to set up and take down. I got a chance to talk to almost everyone I wanted to! We graduated the kids going off to Kindergarten, and they were cute in their caps and gowns, as always. I drank some punch and B ate some cake, and it was done. I especially liked the slide show part with us in it. We had a picture from the first day of school this year, and one with cap and gown, and showed them one after the other. It was fun, and sad at the same time.
  • One of my friends seemed to be having a freak-out. I didn't go after the program with B, I couldn't, but I know a few were going to check on her in my stead. I hoped and prayed for the best.
  • B and I got snacks on the way home---me, a snowcone. B, a subway sandwich and a milk. A good ending to a day that started out crummy!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Congratulations! How exciting for you!! (for the award, not the speeding ticket)

    By Blogger Mel O, at Saturday, May 19, 2007 6:01:00 AM  

  • You SOOOO deserve the award. I am very happy for you. And you better post some shots of you on those skates. All the kids thought it was so cool to give those to you. We'll miss you over the summer, but I look forward to seeing you in the halls next year!

    By Blogger sarahdawn, at Saturday, May 19, 2007 2:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home