slice of my life

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Resolving


Over at Laurel Wreath, she asked everyone to post their hopes, dreams, and goals for the next year. How do we want God to move in our lives? Where do I want to be in December 2007?

I usually do resolutions. I don't keep them always, but I also re-evaluate my life at my birthday and at the beginning of a school year---not in any formal way, but I am more reflective at these times, putting forth goals for myself and seeing where I can improve certain aspects of life around here. I'm finally ready to do this year's post about my resolutions. I have been thinking about them for more than a week. Basically I need to get myself organized and more balanced. I need to be connected to God---to be within His will for me, and to be able to hear what He has to say to me. So what kind of steps do you take to reach such lofty goals? My resolutions are my little steps.


But first, this song keeps coming back into my head:


I am resolved no longer to linger

Charmed by the world's delight;

Things that are higher, things that are nobler

These have allured my sight!


I will hasten to Him

Hasten so glad and free

Jesus, greatest, highest,

I will come to Thee.


(You can hear it here: I Am Resolved ; words by Palmer Hartsough, music by James H. Fillmore, 1896)


That's an old-fashioned song we sing at my church, and it speaks to me as I'm reading people's resolutions and and resolving to do better this year.


1. Be a Daily Bible reader. One little encouraging note in the church bulletin this week made me think about this. Colossians 3:16---"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly richly . . ." First of all, to have that word within me, I am going to have to really read it. I can't know it without reading it. And my desire to have it richly within me has been helped along by the Quiet Time Bible Study (see the link on my sidebar). It has you read about a chapter a day and then asks questions about your reading. There are questions strictly about the text, and then application questions. I really like it. The meat is just God's word---not someone expounding upon a single verse for a whole chapter. And I really think that's where I need to be. I started it daily on Dec. 30, and I will not beat myself up if I do not do those questions every day! The real goal is to be in the word.


2. Be a regular exerciser. I have also done this ever since Christmas. Not every day, but about 4 times a week I want to do something. I am easily bored by routine, so I want to leave this open. This break, the exercise of choice is yoga, and I like it. I have two tapes in particular that I really like---one 45 minutes, one 20 minutes. I am feeling all stretched out and loose today! And my balance and flexibility always improves when I am doing yoga. I hope to lose a few pounds this year----but I don't have a step-by-step plan as of yet, so I know it isn't happening. The goal really is to feel better about my body.


3. Keep my financial records on the computer. I do much better with my spending and saving if I do this. I got this set up yesterday morning. I had to just start over and re-do everything in the Money program I'm using. It felt really good to have it all organized and up-to-date. Part of this resolution is to sit down and record the day's transactions every evening. I think once I get B in bed I will go directly to the computer and input receipts if there are any. I kinda think that has been my missing step before----a routine time to get that little thing done. I would let things pile up, and then I would have so much to do it took an hour or so to straighten things out---and I really didn't know what was going on in that account! Bad!!


4. Make Menu plans and shop with them in mind. I am actually pretty good at this, and when I am on a roll, I am cookin' great meals and saving money! I need to do it more consistently. Cooking is a creative activity (and I am all about variety and creativity), and it's one way I show my love to my family. Frozen pizza (last night!) isn't very creative, but it's the best we can do some nights.


So who do I want to be? I want to hold my temper in check---some days I have totally lost it this Christmas break! A Mom who is more patient and full of Godly wisdom. I want to be a better wife to Larry---to actually consider him more often in what I'm doing here at home. I want to be in control of housework. I want to be someone not afraid of the days to come------this is Proverbs 31---the wife of noble character. I have always loved this chapter, and it is a good goal to have:


10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.

16 She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things, but you surpass then all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

31 Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

I am sure I can think of more goals for this year, and I may add them on later. But what is really great is that each new day is a beginning point, a fresh start. Hey! Even every hour is a fresh start, every minute!
This post has really been a train of thought writing process---whatever comes to mind in whatever order! I have been looking forward to getting this out of my head and into print, and I am glad to share it on my blog.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • This is a beautiful list. Thank you so much for sharing your goals for the New Year.

    I too have found it easier to keep my financials on my computer also. It helps keep me organized.

    Thank you for stopping by my place.

    Happy New Year and many Blessings.

    By Blogger Lori, at Wednesday, January 03, 2007 2:40:00 PM  

  • I really enjoyed your list. Proverbs 31 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. I really liked this in your post:

    "But what is really great is that each new day is a beginning point, a fresh start. Hey! Even every hour is a fresh start, every minute!"

    This is what keeps me going when I fail! Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!

    By Blogger Janis Rodgers, at Thursday, January 04, 2007 12:03:00 PM  

  • I really enjoyed reading your post. "I am Resolved" reminds me of my church growing up. Sometimes I miss those old hymns. Blessings to you in 2007.

    By Blogger Miriam Pauline, at Friday, January 05, 2007 3:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home