slice of my life

Friday, December 22, 2006

Treasures

I just read a nice little post about Keeping Christmas. As in Luke 2:19, "And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart." This Catholic author talks about how her image of what she wanted Christmas to be was just not going to happen. Human limitations we all have prevent us from doing what we think we need for a "perfect Christmas." But the "keeping Christmas" part is hard when I'm rushing around trying to do everything. Am I noticing anything worth "keeping" in my heart?

That was my goal when I thought I'd post every day of December and put forth my joys. There are little joys all around me. B and I strung popcorn today. The kids and I all three painted plaster ornaments yesterday afternoon. I got that double batch of Molasses cookies made last night (why did I think I needed to do double? I'm overachieving!) Being creative makes me happy! So I can't wait to do the roll-out cookies today. They will be another creative outlet. And again, I had planned on doing a double batch, but maybe I need to re-think that.

What am I treasuring? These creative moments. The joy I hope to see on my kids faces when I can give them something they really want. The gift of family time with a board game. I am so glad we did gingerbread houses. I had loved doing that a few years ago, but had let my tradition drop. But it came back, adn I treasure the moments of B helping me mix up the dough, and of me putting together the house with royal icing, and of B sitting there beside me as we made little houses for J's class.

I'm treasuring what J said to me the other night. He had been home sick, and B and Lar were out. We had just watched yet another episode of Star Trek Voyager (we've been renting these DVDs). I was really engaged with him, enjoying something he was enjoying, talking about the shows with him. He said, "I'm enjoying spending time with you, Mom." I was enjoying my time, too.
Of course now, we've been stuck in the house together since Tuesday afternoon, and I am getting a little stir crazy. But what can I do today that will give them a treasure moment? I think I can still let go of my "perfect Christmas" agenda and just let them lead me into something they will treasure. Of course, I NEED to get in their rooms and clean, and this doesn't seem to be something that will produce a treasure to them! But maybe if I can not get so mad about what they are not doing, I can make it through. And their clean rooms are one more treasure for them.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • SAve some of those molasses cookies for me and Dad. I could almost smell them from your pocture. The plaster onaments are very pretty. I liked seeing my mother's handwriting. she always wrote so well.

    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, December 22, 2006 3:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home