slice of my life

Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's Eve Shootout

Before I get to the new year, with my hopes and dreams and my resolutions, I have to post first of all about the end of 2006. We were invited to go to a couple's house for a casual party, a family we know from church. There were maybe 20 people there. The kids were all running around and having fun. We grown-ups were sitting around eating and playing games. We played "Mafia" (which is sorta like a who-done-it mystery game) and we played "Taboo" which is what's going on in the picture. My team won that one! In Mafia, in the two times we played it, I got dealt the "mafia" card both times! So I got to eliminate some of the other players and try to keep cool and not reveal my identity. In the first game I got outed the first round right away, but I made it to the end in the second game. Go me! I don't think I am a very good bluffer.


One family who said they were coming to the party got tied up instead with tamale-making. We kept calling them and they would call us and we teased Ivonne about promising us a cake . . . and another cake for New Year's Eve. It would have been a nice compliment to all the "savory" foods we had. I made a big pot of black-eyed peas with ham--in my new red CrockPot. Finally they were talked into coming on over after 11:00. Someone (Todd?) suggested we ambush them with Nerf guns--someone who happened to have them in their car already. So, before they arrived, the guys and the kids shot up each other and had tons of fun with that. These grown men---more silly than I've seen them before! (Staying up late makes you this way!)


So as this family comes in, Rebecca says, "Line up, we want to take your picture." We were holding our Nerf guns under the table. My camera battery was low----so I had only one shot of the action! But his pretty much sums up what happened. Of course this family went out to their car and got their nerf guns----who are these friends of ours? Who carries around Nerf gun, "just in case?" Maybe they were involved with something like this before. Hmmm . . .


Anyway, I'm laughing at this picture when I see the full sized shot, because there have obviously been shots fired already, but one more Nerf Bullet is in the air. And I can see 3 guns pointing their way! It's just funny to me! A Nerf battle lasted another 20 minutes at least, and then it was time to count down to midnight and sing "Auld Lang Syne."


This day will probably filled with football and taking down the Christmas tree. I wanted to get it done yesterday, but took a nap instead---I do not know why naps on Sundays are just irresistible to me. And it was a good one, with dreams, even. I needed it to stay awake till midnight.


Anyway, Happy New Year to You! I hope you are blessed this coming year!


coming up: The New Year's Resolutions

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home