slice of my life

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Bet You Can't Lick Your Oboe!

I'm online looking at oboe sites. I bought myself a reed just recently, in the hopes that I can learn a song to play with J and B. Oboe-french horn-cello trios are hard to come by!

I found a fingering chart and I can play the notes as I look at the chart. Now, for reading the staff again and remembering what notes are played with which fingers---that'll be the hard part!
B is sick, but the throat swab this morning was negative for strep. So we'll wait it out, and keep looking for those white pustules on her huge tonsils. I am a good Mommy---I don't give antibiotics unless it's bacterial, and the Dr. said it's likely it's a virus. Her fever has been going up over 102. I was sure it would be strep, and then I knew she'd be well feeling again 24 hours after the medicine got going. This is a lot harder---not knowing when she's better.

J and I listened to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" today along with watching The Wizard of Oz. This is apparently called The Dark Side of the Rainbow. Larry and I had done it before. It's pretty weird. I was surprised when the song would change right as a scene was changing in the movie. B was laying on the couch in a fever stupor (it was kinda bad!!) when we did this, so I bet it was a weird experience for her . . .

One year, B dressed as Dorothy and J as the Tin Man. They were so cute! . . .

I'm back from my remembrances. I found a few websites talking about how it all works and how to start the CD at just the right moment. This site had a "list of coincidental events" I followed as we listened to the CD.

Here were my favorite parts (some of these are direct quotes from that website):
  • At the beginning, Dorothy is balancing on the fence (before she falls into the pigpen) and the line is sung "balanced on the biggest wave" (song is Breathe)

  • Alarm bells ring as Miss Gulch, who appears as the Wicked Witch of the West in Oz, enters riding her bicycle.

  • During "Breathe (Reprise)" you hear "Home, home again" as Professor Marvel tells Dorothy that she should return to her home.

  • The song ends as Dorothy opens the door to her room and approaches the front door of the house. On the original LP, "The Great Gig in the Sky" is the last song on side 1. This song concludes at the same time as the film switches from black-and-white to color. In other words, side 1 of Dark Side of the Moon is the same length as the first black-and-white portion of The Wizard of Oz.

  • The sound effects that open "Money" begin when Dorothy opens the front door and the movie shifts from black-and-white to Technicolor. Adherents to the notion that Pink Floyd created an alternate soundtrack for The Wizard of Oz suggest that the band was equating money with color.

  • During the line "And who knows which is which and who is who" the focus shifts from Glenda, the Good Witch, to the Wicked Witch of the West.

  • The Wicked Witch of the West, who is wearing a black dress, is on camera when you hear "Black, black, black". (29:11) Then Dorothy, who is wearing a blue dress, is on screen when you hear "Blue, blue, blue".

  • Dorothy and the Scarecrow are on the yellow brick road when you hear the line "Got to keep the loonies on the path".

That isn't even the half of it. :-) I really enjoyed going through that with J. We both think that it was pretty coincidental, and it would make even more sense if you were high when you did it. (Which was suggested on several of these websites.) Or at 2 a.m. Everything is much funnier then, even if you're sober.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home