slice of my life

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Saturday Photo Scavenger Hunt, August 11th


For this week's theme of Row, I submit to you a heritage photo I was given only yesterday. These people are in rows, obviously, although loosely, :-)
Now for explanation: Yesterday we buried my father-in-law. It's a really sad time for our family, although it is a relief to know that he is his old self again, not encumbered by physical pain or mental confusion. I'd like to write more about this later.
My father-in-law (we have deduced) is in this picture above. He is on the top row, the 5th head from the left. (Count the child being held as a head, too!) His parents are in the seated row on the bottom. His father, John Wyatt Adams is the third person from the right, and his mother, Mary Eura Sewell Adams, is the 4th one from the right, with the little tied white collar. This seems like a Sewell family celebration, maybe a anniversary for the grandparents who are sitting with the cake. They would be H. Douglas Sewell and Julia Henderson Sewell. One time my father-in-law took us to his old home town, and we saw their grave sites. I have pictures of the headstones, even. Julia (1868-1951) and H.D. (1866-1939) were buried there as well as his parents, John (1884-1967) and Eura (1892-1973), which is the name she went by, I think. Larry knew his grandmother, but his grandfather passed away 2 years before Larry was born. In that cemetery we also saw the headstone for Larry's great grandparents on the other side, Isom Israel Adams and Virginia (who's the second wife, I think!).
I think all that kind of stuff is really interesting. We got a bag of Larry's Dad's old pictures yesterday, and sat and looked at them during the luncheon the chiurch provided for the family. We laughed about the family resemblances, and who looks like whom. That was a good time.
I have spent a long time today getting this post ready! Let me know if you stopped by, so I can see your picture of Row.
Go by TNChick to see more photo hunters! Next week's theme is Two. It might be twice as nice as this one! ;-)

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

  • I love your heritage photo! Great take on row theme!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:07:00 AM  

  • You have my condolences on the loss of your father-in-law. Lovely heritage photo for the theme this week.

    My row photo.

    By Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:24:00 AM  

  • Old black and white photos are favorites of mine. Great rows of history there...Sorry for your loss. You are right it's nice to think of him unencumbered. blessings.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:36:00 AM  

  • Very interesting and fascinating. I like posts like this. To know ones anciesters is both fascinating but also meaningful to understand "who am I, and why".

    Back in 1995 - I happened to read the personal diary of my Grandma's oldest brother. He went from Norway in 1896 - got his promised land in North Dakota - went back to Norway - beacuse he wrote: I'm not a Farmertype - and returned to ND with all his 7 brothers.

    That's why I have more family in US than in Norway.

    Even my two (out of 4) kids works and live in the States.

    By Blogger TorAa, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:57:00 AM  

  • My deepest sympathy for the loss of a special person in your family. I hope that he is happy and at peace.

    Thanks for sharing this special heritage photo.

    By Blogger Heart of Rachel, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:15:00 PM  

  • So sorry about your father-in-law. That old photo is very interesting, and a great idea for this week's theme!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:38:00 PM  

  • Oh Jenny, I am sorry about your FIL. Sounds like there are a lot of great memories with this photo. Prayers for your family.

    By Blogger Jane, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:44:00 PM  

  • What a special photo! I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure you will treasure photos like these even more now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 2:01:00 PM  

  • May he rest in peace. As you said now he is back to being his old self. That is a great picture full of history as we can tell by your narrative. Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger Jose, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 2:12:00 PM  

  • Nice big family! Love the old photos. Have a happy weekend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:51:00 PM  

  • It is really interesting! You don't need me to say this, but I am compelled to say it because I did not do it: somehow, label these names and dates! I got photos of my great grandparents wedding and never labeled them and now I can't remember what I was told!

    By Blogger Andree, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:01:00 PM  

  • wow, I really love this photo!! What a beautiful memory.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:05:00 PM  

  • What a wonderful heritage photo with a lot of history all in rows. Sorry for your loss. I'll keep you and the family in my prayers.

    Please rest as you can. May the coming week bring new blessings your way!
    Angela

    By Blogger Gran, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 10:46:00 PM  

  • It does looked antique. Nice shot for the theme. Happy Weekend! http://crizlai.blogspot.com/2007/08/photo-hunters-row.html

    By Blogger CRIZ LAI, at Sunday, August 12, 2007 7:36:00 AM  

  • I'm truly sorry about your Father-in-law. I am certain he is resting comfortably now and back to his old self, as you have stated. That is an amazing photo. I am always in awe of these black and white photos, they bring in so much information of our past and we can learn so much!! I adore them. Thank you for sharing the pic and your story. This was a wonderful post. Take care.

    By Blogger Michele, at Sunday, August 12, 2007 8:21:00 AM  

  • What a blessing you received. Sorry about FIL but he is better off I am sure and you will meet again one day.

    Neat entry.

    Come see mine.

    By Blogger Paulie, at Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:55:00 PM  

  • I'm so sorry about your father-in-law.

    It is wonderful that you were all able to look at the photos together, and the photo you chose to display, is an awesome family moment.

    By Blogger Marcia (MeeAugraphie), at Monday, August 13, 2007 10:48:00 AM  

  • Jenny,
    Please stop by my blog you have been honored with an award.

    By Blogger Gran, at Monday, August 13, 2007 7:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home