slice of my life

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thursday Theme---Fair

I can't remember if this picture was taken by my daughter or me---we were taking turns with the camera on this "shoot." We had painted our nails for her softball team's colors, and for the first time ever, she was able to get the same kind of shoes I did. She got a small and I got a medium in this style.

But why is this "fair" in my book? Well, all my life I have been fair-skinned. I really detested this fact of life when I was a teen---no sun bathing for me! I have had my share of sunburns, which will not turn tan afterwards, but they got back to white---or darken the freckles there already. I have tried to like being fair---and even my name---Jennifer---means "fair lady" I've been told. Tried to appreciate the beautiful porcelain skin I have. (But actually no, I am mostly pink in the face all the time!) I am better. I have to be very protective of my skin, knowing all we do now about skin cancer. So people can appreciate a fair-skinned gal nowadays.

But imagine the prayers I had when I was pregnant with my two---I wanted for them health and happiness and skin that doens't burn so easily. J came, and I got my wish---he would be a little tanner than I (thanks to Daddy's genes!). Then B came and woah! She really can tan. This picture shows her legs this May---before the pool and summertime, but during her softball season. Thank you, God, for sending my children some pigment! It will make their lives easier than mine in this one respect! ;-)

Saturday Photo Hunt (over at TNChick) will be themed Creative. I'll probably post a bit early this week---track meet in Austin coming up this weekend!

Check in at Picture This for more people who joined in the Thursday Theme. :-)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Hey, I like that, FAIR skinned!
    Great photo, too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:45:00 PM  

  • That's a nice different take on fair. I got lucky. My mom is very fair (she's English) and my dad is very dark (hispanic) so I came up in between. And my daughter's both have great tanned skin (dad-Lithuanian bkgrd). We still all wear sunscreen though. I love the way fair skin looks, so regal and elegant.
    Thanks for coming by my blog! :)

    By Blogger mandaroo63, at Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:50:00 PM  

  • I love your creative take on "fair!" I can relate...I have also been cursed with pal skin that burns easily but never tans. Thankfully my daughter is a little darker than me - though not by much! Such a sweet moment between you and your daughter captured in that picture.

    By Blogger Christina, at Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:35:00 PM  

  • I like your take on fair. And a fun picture to remember that fun time. :)

    By Blogger Cari, at Friday, July 27, 2007 12:28:00 AM  

  • How funny! I SO nearly did the same thing for the theme because I am, like you, VERY fair skinned and my daughter quite fair although without the freckles. I toyed with posting a pic of her horrendous sunburn (when left in the care of older step brother when we were moving house) but thought I might be reported for child abuse!!! I have had cancers burnt off my face and one cut off my hand. How about you? You see sunscreen wasn't invented until I was about 14. Great photo too.

    By Blogger Arizaphale, at Saturday, July 28, 2007 6:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home