slice of my life

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Beauty

The kids are now off on their 2nd day of school. So far, so good! Their days seemed to go well yesterday. No huge news to report on that front.

It could be argued that I did my kids damage last night by letting them watch the Miss Teen USA pagent. I have those thoughts in my head. But I just couldn't resist it. I love to watch the opening when they introduce every state and we ooh and ahh over which ones are the prettiest, or we take pride in how cute the Texas girls are every time (and Me, I root for Tennessee, too). Once I saw the beginning, I had to see it out. We talked about why I thought they needed to be covered up more. And I pointed out the girls I thought were fake blondes. Even J watched part of it last night.

My sister and I used to watch pagents---I remember watching one at Grandmother J.'s house for some reason. I love to see those evening gowns. I like the talent and the interview. Maybe I like a format in which I can judge and not be bad for judging!

And maybe it's bad that these are only teen girls. Some of them were not even legal age, and I thought that maybe pedophiles were watching them. Of course they were! They looked as grown up as the regular Miss USAs did.

Here is a link to the official Miss Teen USA website , so peruse at your lesiure. Miss Texas did not even make the top 15---ug. We couldn't have been happier to see that THE Drake Bell was one of the judges, and I was impressed that Carl Lewis was a judge, too. What is this world coming to?

I really liked the dress the winner was wearing---Miss Montana. B liked different dresses than I did---fluffier and more colorful. I thought Miss Arizona was just the cutest (at 15 years old), but it was so perfectly "acted" that she looked a bit fakey. And we paid attention to Miss Congeniality, who was from Colorado. We all have seen and crack up about the movie, Miss Congeniality with Sandra Bullock. Love it!

Half way through the show, I asked B what reall y made someone attractive, or a good person. She could tell me right away that it wasn't looks that was important (good answer). But it was important to be nice to people and care about people. Awww! She also said "But being pretty is a privilege!" Was she talking about herself? Yeah, probably! She's maybe too prideful about her looks, her hair, her tan. Which brings me full circle-----maybe it was a bad thing we even watched that show last night!

What's done is done.

2 Comments:

  • Ah, I think you are fine there are a lot worse things to watch with your kids on tv than a pageant.

    Me personally I am not a pageant fan. Not because I have any real objection to them I just think they are incredibly boring. Kind of like watching car racing you watch it long enough and you hope for a crash for some action.

    Watching pageants I always just hope one of those skinny girls just takes a tumble right off the stage.

    Too brutally honest??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:06:00 AM  

  • Sounds like a R comment. I remember hersaying that she always thought she was cute. She didn't get that from me. I never thought I was cute. Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, August 18, 2006 10:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home