slice of my life

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I just finished reading The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas this morning. I really enjoyed it! It's set in the depression in Kansas. I'm not a quilter, but I am crafty enough I enjoyed the quilting references. I liked the mystery and the friendships of the ladies in the story---across generations, as it had to be in this farming community.

Have you read anything else by this author? I saw she had other books out there. I picked this book up at Half-Price Books.

I read Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen just before this. I started this one before I got Harry Potter book 7, so I had to quit reading S&S to read HP. But I did enjoy this as well. It's one of those I have to really concentrate on to understand. I am usually amazed that these really young women (like in their teens, still!) are thinking about marriage so much and think it's totally fine to marry someone in their 30s. Very different from our way of life! Of course, I was only 20 when I married, so who can talk?

I already started the next book---The Hostile Hospital. J was prompting me to get back to reading the Series of Unfortunate Events books. This is book number 8 out of 13. Yes, I'd read them along with J at first, but he got ahead of me. And frankly, I need to read some other types of literature, don't I?

What are you reading?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I LOVE Sense and Sensibility. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it. Alan Rickman is the romantic Col. Brandon!

    By Blogger a, at Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:45:00 AM  

  • I haven't read that one, but it reminds me of the Elm Creek Quilter books, which I love, even though I also am not a quilter!

    I will have to check that one out!
    Thanks for the recommendation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home