slice of my life

Sunday, July 01, 2007

BVTroupe's "Gospell, Junior"

B and I got to go to the show this afternoon, and it was a sold out performance! Yea!

This is the opening full cast song, God Save the People. J is on the top row, center, with a purple shirt on.

B's track camp friend K, is the one in the purple and tan vest in the front row. "Jesus" is the boy in the center row with a funny striped shirt and a green bow tie.



Oh, Bless the Lord, My Soul features the girls, and this shot came out great! I have to take pictures without flash during the shows remember!


The kids had a part in all aspects of the production---choreography, set dressing, directing, wardrobe design, etc.

This is a re-telling of the story of Jesus's teachings and crucifixion. It takes place at a garage sale. Hmmm . . . weird, but good!

J had parts in several scenes. He is the Prodigal Son here, begging his father for forgiveness.

He was also a seed that fell on the path, a priest that passes by the man beaten by robbers, and he was a director of two parables.




Special lighting effects! I wasn't sure any of these shots would come out. J was tempting Jesus here. In the show it happens right before the crucifixion.





Here's the big scene---the crucifixion. The part of Jesus is played by a boy just a year ahead of J in school, a fellow Church of Christ boy. J is standing to his left.




This last picture is Thomas, checking out Jesus's hands after he rises again. I didn't feel emotional about the death scene, but when he comes back in again, I got all choked up!


The wonderful thing about Troupe is that they take everyone in, and everyone gets a shot at doing something. All these kids are in camp---three weeks of practice and some learning about the stage for the first time, and here they are performing a great show. I was totally impressed!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Godspell is one of my favorite musicals! I still remember when the HS kids came to perform it at our elementary school. They wanted a smaller stage for the show and since they used our stage we all got to see a special performance. It was my first musical and I all but wore that LP out!

    By Blogger Jane, at Monday, July 09, 2007 12:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home