slice of my life

Friday, October 13, 2006

Celebrating with Food

The Before:
I took pictures of food again, so I thought I'd share. The guys in the family gave this a thumbs up. And J gave his "bravo" which is high praise around here. They are called Stuffed Zucchini Boats and I made them in honor of . . . (drumroll please) . . . Columbus Day. What recipes did you put forth for Columbus Day? What? No special recipes for this holiday?

The After:

Did you know that in Venezuela they instead celebrate Día de la Resistencia Indígena instead of Columbus Day? Can you translate that? It's "Day of Indigenous Resistance". Isn't this going a bit too far? As we ate our dinner, I Googled "Columbus Day" and came up with this tidbit.

Okay, I am not really a Columbus Day fanatic. I really don't celebrate it every year, at all, ever! But I did see this reciepe for Stuffed Zucchini Boats, and they were promoting them as a Columbus Day food. I wanted to make little masts for the boats out of popcicle sticks and paper, but I didn't. I definitely liked the combination of foods here. OH! I did not use any spinach in them, as is called for, since there was no fresh spinach in the grocery store when I shopped!

I DO love to celebrate the little days through the year with food. Anytime I can make a theme, I like to. Yesterday was orange day at my preschool. Orange dinner? I didn't, but I could have! (Think Cheese-its, oranges, creamy pasta, carrot sticks, pumpkin pie?) Chinese New Year? I did! Sticky Chins Day? Oh, wait 'till I tell you about that one in February. It's our family holiday, celebrating our first date. Ice cream for dinner! We all look forward to this one. My half birthday? Well, I have no food associations for this "holiday" but I definitely celebrate the halfs around here. My half birthday is Monday! Half a cake, anyone? Half a birthday song? Or shall we sing it "Happy half birthday to you?"

2 Comments:

  • I could not get the receipe;.
    We are interested here.
    Granny

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, October 14, 2006 5:58:00 PM  

  • Granny said that she wanted a recipe not a receipe.
    Uncle John is not much better and we are facing maybe that the kidney is going to totally fail and he will need another kidney. Pray for him.

    Oh I forgot we watched the Aggie game WHOOP!!!!!!!!

    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, October 14, 2006 6:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home